Academic Information

The following information about academic policies and procedures is provided to assist students in attaining their academic goals as effectively as possible. Students should seek the advice of an academic coach or faculty advisor if they have questions about the regulations and procedures stated in this or any other section of the College catalog.

Absences and Tardiness

Since excessive absences or tardiness may affect the quality of a student’s academic performance, the College expects all students to attend classes regularly. Faculty members may determine their own policies regarding irregular class attendance. Students should be aware that non‑attendance at classes will not result in automatic withdrawal from a course. Unless the student initiates a formal course withdrawal request through the Registrar’s Office, non‑attendance will result in a “ZF” grade.

Students must complete all assignments, examinations and other requirements in all of their courses. Absence does not constitute exemption from such obligations, and it is the student’s responsibility to take the initiative to make up any work missed. Students must be aware, however, that the opportunity to make up an examination is not a student right, rather it is a privilege granted under special circumstances. Make-up examinations must be offered for absences due to religious observances, hazardous weather conditions, verifiable medical reasons or field trips that are related to an academic program. In the case of academic field trips, students should inform their instructors prior to the trip so that arrangements to submit work or to schedule a make-up exam can be made. In all other cases, faculty members are free to determine their own policies regarding make‑up examinations. Students must be informed, in writing, at the beginning of each semester of the make‑up examination policy for each course.

Absences Due to Inclement Weather

On days when the College remains open during inclement weather, students should make their own determination whether to attempt to travel to class based on the safety of road conditions in their own locale. Students will not be penalized for missing class under this circumstance, although students are responsible for the work missed and are expected to make it up in a reasonable time as determined by the instructor.

Absences Due to Religious Beliefs

Any student at the College who is unable, because of his or her religious beliefs, to attend classes on a particular day or days will be excused from any examination or any study or work requirements. College faculty will provide an equivalent opportunity for the student to make up any work that he or she may have missed because of such absence. (Section 224, New York State Education Law)

Academic Integrity

Dutchess Community College is committed to the principles of honesty, integrity, and ethical behavior. It is expected that students will recognize these values and adhere to all aspects of student conduct and academic honesty inside and outside of the classroom. Academic dishonesty in any form is regarded by the College as a breach of academic ethics and may result in disciplinary action. Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to, the following:

Cheating on examinations

Plagiarism: the representation of another’s ideas or writing as one’s own. Examples include:

presenting all or part of another person’s published work as something one has written.

paraphrasing or summarizing another’s writing without proper acknowledgement (citation).

representing another’s artistic or technical work or creation as one’s own.

Willingly collaborating with others in any of the above actions which result(s) in work being submitted which is not the student’s own.

Stealing examinations, taking electronic images, falsifying academic records and other such offenses.

Knowingly permitting another student to use one’s work or cheat from one’s examination.

Submitting work previously presented in another course without permission of instructor.

Unauthorized duplication of computer software.

Unauthorized use of copyrighted or published material.

If, based on substantial evidence, an instructor deems that a student is responsible for a violation of the Academic Integrity Policy, the instructor may take the following actions:

The instructor may require that the student repeat the assignment or examination,

The instructor may give the student a failing grade for the assignment or examination, or

The instructor may give the student a failing grade for the course.

As an institution of higher education, it is incumbent on the College to ensure that students understand and uphold the highest standards of academic honesty and that there be accountability in cases where students repeatedly violate those principles. In order to build an intellectual culture of academic integrity and ensure that students learn appropriate behavior in their academic endeavors, faculty and staff who judge that a student intentionally violates the Academic Integrity Policy shall report said violation to the Office of Instruction and Learning. The Office of Instruction and Learning, in consultation with faculty and staff, will be responsible for developing and implementing appropriate academic administrative reporting procedures, educational interventions, disciplinary actions, and appeal processes. Students’ right to privacy will be upheld, and all students shall have the right to appeal any action that results from this process. A complete description of the formal academic dishonesty appeal process may be found in the Student Code of Conduct.

Types of academic dishonesty, from cheating to unauthorized duplication of computer software, are listed in The Student Code of Conduct which is available online at http://www.sunydutchess. edu/assets/CampusCodeofConduct.pdf.

Academic Honors

As an expression of its commitment to academic excellence, the College recognizes superior scholarship by its students in several ways.

President’s List: Students who distinguish themselves by earning a QPA/CPA of 3.75 or better, with no grade below C, based on a minimum of twelve academic or degree credits, in the semester or semesters under consideration, are named to the President’s List.

Part-time students who achieve a QPA/CPA of 3.75 or higher for each full-time equivalent semester of study completed shall be placed on the President’s List. A full-time equivalent semester is defined as the completion of twelve credit hours of study.

Dean’s List: Students who distinguish themselves by earning a QPA/CPA of 3.2 to 3.74, with no grade below C, based on a minimum of 12 academic or degree credits of work, in the semester or semesters under consideration, are named to the Dean’s List.

Part-time students who achieve a QPA/CPA of 3.32 to 3.74 or higher for each full-time equivalent semester of study completed shall be placed on the Dean’s list. A full-time equivalent semester is defined as the completion of twelve credit hours of study.

Academic Citation: A notation is made on the transcript for students who earn a QPA/CPA of 3.0 to 3.19 based on a minimum of twelve academic or degree credits of work, in the semester or semesters under consideration.

Part-time students who achieve a QPA/CPA of 3.00 to 3.19 or higher for each full-time equivalent semester of study completed shall have a notation on the transcript. A full-time equivalent semester is defined as the completion of 12 credit hours of study.

Honors Courses: Honors courses challenge liberal arts students through interdisciplinary study. These courses introduce students to all aspects of the college experience including library research, academic advisement, extra curricular opportunities and transfer possibilities. Students who have taken Honors courses in the past have transferred to a variety of quality colleges including Colgate University, Cornell University, New York University, Vassar College and Williams College as well as to SUNY’s most competitive four‑year campuses. Students are selected for the Honors Minor on the basis of high school achievement, standardized test scores, and an individual interview. Honors courses are open to qualified full-time and part-time students. See details on the honors minor.

Phi Theta Kappa: This is an international honor society established to recognize and encourage scholarship and service among two‑year college students. Phi Theta Kappa provides opportunities for the development of leadership, service and academic excellence. Many four‑year colleges have set aside scholarships for community college transfer students who are Phi Theta Kappa members. Students are invited to become members of the DCC Alpha Psi Kappa chapter of this honor society if they have a 3.5 CPA or a total of 12 hours of college‑level work completed at the community college and maintain a 3.2 CPA throughout their community college career.

Alpha Beta Gamma: This is an international business honor society established in 1970 to recognize and to encourage scholarship among two‑year college students in business curricula. The organization reserves more than $500,000 in scholarships for initiated members of Alpha Beta Gamma who transfer to four‑year colleges and universities. To be eligible for membership in the Delta Zeta Chapter of Alpha Beta Gamma at the College, a student must be enrolled in a business curriculum and have completed 15 credit hours with at least 12 hours of work taken in courses leading to a business degree recognized by the College. In addition, the student must have demonstrated academic excellence by attaining a 3.5 CPA in business courses as well as a 3.5 overall CPA.

Academic Standing

Students are considered “in good academic standing” if they are making satisfactory progress toward completion of a certificate or degree, and have met the required cumulative grade point average for the number of credits that they have attempted.


Students may register to audit courses on a space‑available basis beginning with the first day of classes each term. The approval of the Registrar and instructor are required for an audit status. Payment is the same as for students taking the course for credit. Students may not change from audit status to credit status or from credit status to audit status after the third week or the equivalent for shorter parts of term.

Senior citizens, 60 or older, may audit college credit courses on a space‑available basis. There is no auditing charge for senior citizens. Senior citizens are permitted to audit during the spring and fall semesters only.

Change of Curriculum

Students may change their curriculum if they feel their abilities and interests are better suited to another program of study. When considering a curriculum change, the student should explore the possibilities and realities of the new program with his/her academic coach. Length of time needed to complete degree requirements, prerequisites and suitability of a new curriculum can be discussed at this time. A student may be referred to the chairperson of the curriculum in which the student is interested for additional information. In changing curriculum, a student should understand that no credit will be granted for courses previously taken that do not apply to the new program. 

Eligibility for TAP awards for students changing academic programs will be based on the student’s CPA and accrued credits in the old curriculum prior to the effective date of the program change. Change of majors for the current semester must be submitted during the first three weeks of the semester in order for it to be reflected for the current semester. After the first three weeks the change of major will take effect for the following semester. 


Readmission to Dutchess Community College is necessary for students who have not been in attendance according to the criteria below and were previously matriculated (degree-seeking) and wish to re-enter as a degree-seeking student. In order to be readmitted students must officially apply for readmission. Readmitted students are matriculated under the catalog term of their returning semester and are required to meet degree and program requirements in place at the time of re-admission. Official transcripts from each college attended since leaving DCC should be submitted for review if applicable. 

Readmission is required for students who meet any of the following criteria:

You previously applied and were accepted to DCC but never attended.

You were accepted to DCC and attended, but since had a break of two or more consecutive semesters in your enrollment (excluding summer and winter terms). 

You were academically dismissed from the college and lost your matriculation status.

You were non-academically dismissed from the college and lost your matriculation status.

You have graduated from DCC and are looking to return to pursue a second degree.

You can download the Readmission Request Form and submit it to the Admissions Office ( or you may apply for readmission using the online form ( 


Students attending a SUNY four-year institution or community college may be permitted to take courses at other SUNY four-year institutions or community colleges without incurring additional tuition charges. Students can apply for cross registration by filling out the online application at


Home Institution: SUNY institution where the student is enrolled full-time in a degree or certificate program.

Host Institution: SUNY institution that agrees to allow the student to enroll in coursework while still pursuing a degree or certification program at the home institution.


Students must be a matriculated undergraduate, and be attending full- or part-time at their home institution. Students are limited to six credits of undergraduate cross-registered coursework. Cross-registered courses must be applicable toward degree or certificate requirements. If DCC is the home institution the cross registration will be approved only if the options available at DCC impede on the students’ time to degree completion. Students cross-registering at a community college are required to provide a certificate of residence to the institution. Under most circumstances, students registering through a SUNY cross-registration agreement are not charged tuition at the host institution, but may be liable for course-related fees.

Degrees, Certificates and Academic Credentials

Dutchess Community College is authorized by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York to award the following degrees and certificates:

Associate in Arts (A.A.)

Programs that lead to this degree are designed for those students who plan to receive a baccalaureate degree from a senior college or university. The A.A. degree may be completed in two years and consists primarily of courses in the liberal arts and sciences, special liberal arts and science courses related to the student’s major field of interest and electives.

Associate in Science (A.S.)

These programs are designed primarily to prepare students to continue their education for the baccalaureate degree in scientific or professionally related programs at a senior college or university. The A.S. degree may be completed in two years and consists of a core of liberal arts and science courses, additional required special courses related to the student’s field of interest and electives.

Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.)

These programs may be completed in two years and prepare their graduates for immediate employment in specific occupations or careers. Many graduates, however, do transfer some or all of their credits toward more advanced study at a senior college or university. The A.A.S. degree consists of a basic core of liberal arts and science courses, special courses related to a specific career area and electives.

Associate in Occupational Science (A.O.S.)

Like the Associate in Applied Science, these programs may be completed in two years and prepare their graduates for immediate employment in specific occupations or careers. The A.O.S. degree consists primarily of special courses related to a specific career area.

Honors Minor

DCC currently offers the option for qualified students to enroll in one Minor: the Minor in Honors Studies. A Minor is a set of supplemental requirements designed for students who wish to complement and enrich their respective major curricula. Minors are designed to be broad and complementary, and do not constitute scaled-down versions of active degree programs. Students must be matriculated in a degree program in order to declare a Minor. See specific details on the Minor in Honors Studies.

Certificate Programs

DCC offers two types of credit certificate programs: an academic certificate and an applied academic certificate.

The Academic Certificate includes career‑oriented courses and at least nine credits of liberal arts courses. 

The Applied Academic Certificate includes career‑oriented or technical courses and at least one liberal arts course, ENG 101. Certificates may be of varying length. However, it is expected that the majority of certificate programs can be completed in one calendar year. Courses in certificate programs are applicable to associate degree programs at Dutchess Community College.

Microcredential (Applied Academic Credential)

A Microcredential is a targeted credential that is smaller than a certificate. Students do not need to be matriculated to enroll in the courses to earn a Microcredential, and can complete the credential on a flexible schedule. Any Microcredentials that you earn at DCC will appear on your official DCC transcript, and you will also earn a “Digital Badge” that will allow you to share your achievement with potential employers on professional networking sites. See more information on the Microcredentials currently offered at DCC.

Online Learning

Each semester, the College offers numerous online and hybrid courses in a variety of disciplines. In online courses, communication with the professor and the other students occurs electronically and assignments, papers and tests are done from your computer. The quality of teaching and expectations for learning are the same whether the course is taken online or on campus. Students should be aware that success in online learning requires organization, self-discipline and good time management skills. 

DCC’s online courses are offered through SUNY Online. All students who register for an online or hybrid course for the first time at DCC are required to complete the Online/Hybrid Student Orientation before their class begins. The orientation will introduce students to online learning and covers basic Blackboard skills for submitting online work. This orientation can be found on the My Courses page in myDCC shortly after a student registers for an online class. 

Fresh Start Rule

Students who have not enrolled in credit classes at DCC for a minimum of three consecutive years, and who have Ds and Fs on their transcript, may apply for the Fresh Start Rule. All grades of D and F will be made non‑applicable on the student’s transcript. The rule can be used only once and cannot be applied if a student has already graduated. Students are expected to apply prior to completing their first semester returning in order to be eligible. All other requirements for graduation remain in effect. Students apply through the Registrar’s Office. If approved, the Fresh Start will not be reflected on the student’s transcript until 3 weeks into the returning semester.

Grade Changes 

A grade of incomplete must be made up within the next four weeks in which the College is in regular session. Otherwise, the incomplete automatically becomes an F. A faculty member may change a student grade (including a grade of I) up until one year after the grade was initially submitted. He/she needs to complete a change of grade form in the Registrar’s Office. (DCC Board of Trustees, Resolution No. 1999-26)

Grade Appeals

If a student wishes to discuss a grade that he/she has received for a test, an assignment or the final grade in a course, the initial step is for the student to meet with the instructor to resolve the concern in an informal manner. The meeting must be requested within 30 calendar days after receipt of a grade for a test or assignment, or by the end of the second week of the following semester after receipt of a grade for the course. 

If this meeting does not result in a satisfactory resolution of the concern, within 14 days, the student should obtain a Grade Appeal Form from the academic department secretary or the Office of Instruction and Learning, and initiate a formal grade appeal. The student should bring the completed form for Step 1 to the instructor’s department chair, who will convene a meeting with the student and the faculty member in an attempt to achieve an equitable outcome. A complete description of the formal grade appeal process may be found online at

Grade Point Averages (GPA)

The overall quality of a student’s work for a semester is measured by current term GPA, while the quality of all the work a student has done at the College through one or more semesters is indicated by cumulative GPA or CPA. The student’s term GPA is determined in the following manner:

Using quality points for each grade as defined in the Grading System section, multiply the number of quality points equivalent to the letter grade received in each course by the number of credit hours for the course to get total quality points received for the course. Divide the sum of the quality points received in all courses by the total number of credit hours. Round to the nearest hundredth. The quotient represents the student’s current term GPA for the semester.

The student’s cumulative GPA is determined in the same way, except that it includes all credit work completed at the College. In the event a course is repeated, the highest grade and quality points are used in the computation of the cumulative GPA.



Total Credit


Quality Points

Total Quality 

ENG 101





CHE 121





MAT 118





HIS 102





BHS 103




















(Calculate GPA = 38.33/17=2.25)

 Grading System



Grade Points















Good/Above Average
















Acceptable as an individual course grade. If received in a prerequisite course, the student may not qualify for the next course in sequence. "D" grades do  not typically transfer to other institutions.








Failure due to never or stopped showing up




Incomplete, a temporary grade given in cases where students have not completed course requirements due to reasons beyond their control. The course requirements must be completed and a grade submitted within the first four weeks of the following semester (fall or spring) or the "I" automatically becomes an "F."




Proficiency, a grade that meets graduation requirements, earned by examination or life experience. To earn credit by proficiency, a student must perform at the level of C or better.




Passing (given only as a midterm grade with the permission of the vp of instruction and learning)




Audit (No Credit)








Administrative Withdrawal



Student Conduct Withdrawal



No Credit (Spring 2020 only)


No grade change will be processed for any student later than one year after he/she has completed the course.
# This indicator is used to designate a grade in a developmental course. Any grade followed by a # is not calculated into the student's grade point average.

Graduation Requirements

Graduation Requirements

All candidates for degrees and certificates from Dutchess Community College are required to:

1. Fulfill  all the requirements of the approved and registered program for which the student is registered.

2. Successfully complete the minimum number of credits required in the program.

3. Complete, at Dutchess, at least 24 hours of the course work offered for credits toward a degree.

4. Have a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.0 or better.

5. Be certified for graduation by the Registrar or his/her designee.

6. Apply for graduation by meeting with an Academic Coach and then submitting the graduation application to
the Registrar’s Office.

7. Have paid or satisfactorily adjusted all College fees and met all other obligations.

8. Have submitted official proof of high school graduation or GED.

Certificate Programs

Students enrolled in a Certificate program must complete at least
50% of the program credits at DCC.* 

Students must earn an overall cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher in
order to be awarded the certificate. 


Because a Microcredential is comprised of short course sequences, requirements for a Microcredential are to be completed at DCC. Any exception to this would require departmental approval in order to transfer in credits. 

No more than 50% of credits may be accepted in transfer.* 

A digital badge will be awarded to students who complete the required coursework and earn a 2.0 or higher in each course.  

If the Microcredential contains a certification exam, a successful score on that exam is also required for the award of the Microcredential. 

*Certain courses may be required to be taken at DCC; check your specific program for these exceptions. 

After graduation, a student may continue to study at Dutchess on a non‑matriculated basis or matriculate in a second degree or certificate program. In order to matriculate in a second degree program a student must readmit to the college. The readmission application can be obtained in the Admissions Office. 

Prerequisite Courses

Prerequisites are intended to ensure that a student has sufficient preparation before advancing to the next course in a sequence. Prerequisites, where stated, must be met before enrollment will be permitted.

Probation and Dismissal

A student “in good academic standing” is eligible to matriculate and may register for academic course work for the term in question. Students whose academic performance falls below the standards normally required by the College may either be placed on probation or dismissal by the Registrar. Probation is a status assigned to those students showing reasonable promise of improving their performance. Students are dismissed when they fail to demonstrate the ability and interest required for successful completion of a given program (as indicated below). Dismissal will reduce a student’s academic courseload to part time status. 

Academic probation, which may include constraints upon a student’s activities, is intended as an educational device to encourage greater effort on the part of students who appear to be having difficulty in meeting certain academic standards. Placement on academic probation may include denial of the right to register for academic course work unless certain conditions are met. Full‑time students on academic probation will be given a credit restriction of 14 credits max. 

Any student may appeal to the assistant dean of student services, who may extend special consideration to those students whose circumstances or academic records indicate that such consideration is warranted.

The following guidelines are used to determine the status of matriculated students:

Credits Attempted

Probation** CPA

Dismissal*** CPA


lower than 1.50

lower than 1.00


lower than 1.75

lower than 1.40


lower than 1.90

lower than 1.70

more than 54

lower than 2.00

lower than 1.90

*Applies to part-time students once they have attempted 12 credits.
**Full-time students on probation will generally be limited to 14 credits.
***Student must complete six credits with C or better to be reinstated to full-time status.

Repeating Courses

Repeating Courses

Students receiving a “F” in a course or failing to achieve the required grade for enrolling in the next course in sequence may repeat the course in question once. However, they may not repeat it again without written permission from the head of the department responsible for the course. 

Second Degree

Students who feel that they will gain significant educational or career advantage by earning more than one associate degree from DCC may pursue study toward another degree with the written approval of the registrar. In order to qualify for the second degree, a student must complete at least 15 applicable credits beyond those used to satisfy requirements for the first degree. Nine of the 15 credits must be specifically required in the second curriculum.

Students who wish to qualify for the degrees simultaneously should request approval as soon as they are aware of their plans to earn two degrees. Those who already have received one degree should seek approval prior to matriculating in the second degree program. Interested students should contact their Academic Coach in the ACT Center.

Rematriculation After Dismissal

Students who are academically dismissed lose their matriculated status. They may appeal the dismissal through the Office of Enrollment and Student Success. If the appeal is successful, the student is rematriculated and may resume full-time or part-time matriculated study.

If the dismissal is upheld, the student must meet one of  two conditions in order to rematriculate: 1) Register for part-time studies for the next semester on a non-matriculated basis. If the student receives grades of C or better in six credits or more, he/she may then return to full-time or part-time matriculated study in the following semester; or 2) Remain non-enrolled for two semesters. The student may then reapply for full-time study (or part-time matriculated study) without meeting special conditions.

Dismissed students who have met the conditions for rematriculation must apply for rematriculation. Application for rematriculation should be initiated in the Office of Admissions. In all cases, the conditions specified to be rematriculated must have been satisfied or be in the process of being met at the time of application.

Students who are dismissed from either full- or part-time status and lose their matriculation are not eligible for financial aid from either federal or New York state sources. 

If a student’s dismissal is successfully appealed, her or his financial aid may still be in jeopardy due to a lack of satisfactory academic progress.

Waiver of Program Requirement

It is expected that a student will complete all the requirements of his/her curriculum. Under exceptional circumstances, certain requirements may be waived. New York State Education Department regulations, such as the minimum number of credits required for graduation and the required number of liberal arts and science credits, may not be waived. It should be noted that waivers are never automatic. Examples of when a requirement may be waived include: when a course scheduling problem has made it impossible for a student to meet a graduation requirement, or when a student needs to meet a specific requirement of a four‑year college to which the student intends to transfer.

When a required course is waived, a course of an equal or a greater number of credits must be substituted. A Waiver or Modification of Curriculum form must be approved before the student enrolls in a substitute course. The approval process is initiated by the department chair, program chair or academic coach, reviewed by the appropriate academic department, and finally acted upon by the vp of instruction and learning. It is then sent to the Registrar’s Office to be updated in the student’s Degree Works Audit.

Service Learning

The Service Learning Program at Dutchess Community College facilitates student academic learning through meaningful service experiences, which encourage and enable DCC’s faculty and students to positively impact the community. The Service Learning Program seeks to bring campus and community together in partnership to share resources, meet real community needs, and help educate individuals to become the change agents of tomorrow. 

Service learning is an educational experience integrating community service within an academic class to enhance learning and address critical community needs. Service learning emphasizes hands-on experiences that address real-world concerns. The service experience provides a context for testing, observing, or trying out discipline-based theories, concepts or skills. Students gain knowledge that’s directly connected to the student learning outcomes of the service learning course being taken. Likewise, the academic context enriches the service experience by raising questions about real-world concerns and providing a forum for probing these concerns in-depth. Most service learning work is done with non-profit organizations, community groups, and governmental agencies whose goal is to serve the public good.  

Special Studies Courses

Special studies projects provide students the opportunity to earn academic credit by participating in independent study, group research, seminars, community service, work experience, and other educational activities under the supervision of a faculty member. Special study projects normally are available only to matriculated students who have completed 30 or more credits, applicable to their degree, at Dutchess Community College. Students may not earn more than six credits from special studies courses. Before registering for a special studies project, the student must develop a project with a faculty member who volunteers to serve as the student’s mentor and the project must be approved by the head of the sponsoring department. Students should consult their academic coach for further information.

Study Abroad

The experience of studying abroad can be a rewarding and exciting addition to a student’s academic career.  Studying abroad will challenge students, bring them new life-long friends, and provide once in a lifetime experiences that will shape who they are.  Education abroad can also provide skills and experiences welcomed in today’s competitive workforce.  “Study Abroad with SUNY – Study the World” provides opportunities through a number of SUNY campuses with programs available in more than 60 countries.  DCC students have taken advantage of studying abroad in countries such as, Spain, Italy, Poland, Russia, Scotland, and New Zealand.  Questions or inquiries should be directed to the Office of Enrollment and Student Success at 431-8970. 

Summer Sessions

Credit and non-credit courses – day, evening and online – are offered each summer. Summer term is designed to provide students with an opportunity to catch up or get ahead on coursework. The maximum credits allowed for during the summer term is 14 for degree-seeking and 11 for non-degree seeking students. Students are not permitted to take more than 7 credits during any one summer session. Information on course offerings and registration procedures is available in the spring.

Winter Session

A series of accelerated online two- and three-credit courses are available over winter break. Payment in full is required one week before the beginning of class. Financial aid cannot be used. Apply online through myDCC or visit the ACT center. During the Winter Session students can take a maximum of three credits.

Withdrawal from College or Courses

Students who withdraw from either the College or a particular course must initiate such action in the ACT Center. Failure to attend class or providing informal notification to instructors will not be considered official notice of withdrawal. If a student never attends all courses and does not withdraw, the college will administratively withdraw them with full tuition liability.

Withdrawals initiated during the first three weeks of the semester (or its equivalent for shorter parts of term) result in deletion of the course(s) from the record. A student who officially withdraws from a course(s) between the 4th week and the end of the 11th week of the semester (or its equivalent for shorter parts of term) will receive a grade of “W”. If the student has not withdrawn by the end of the 11th week or its equivalent, the student will receive the grade that they earned in the course. Please refer to the Academic and/or the Credit Class Student Calendar for withdrawal deadlines.

If a student feels he or she has an extenuating circumstance that justifies an exception to the standard withdrawal policy, he or she may appeal to the Withdrawal Appeal Committee.

The appeal process is limited to enrolled courses taken within the last three semesters prior to the semester when the request is made. (Appeals for semesters beyond this limit will not be reviewed.)

All requests must be submitted in writing to the Withdrawal Appeal Committee and must include supporting documentation (e.g. copies of registration form, drop/add forms, medical verification) and the Withdrawal Appeal Form.

Appeals received without the proper documentation and form will not be reviewed.

Appeals must be made by the student. Appeals made “on behalf of” a student will not be reviewed.

The Committee cannot change grades for completed courses. This can only be done by the instructor of the course.

Medical withdrawals are limited to all, not some, courses within a semester unless it can be documented that the medical issue is directly related to the course being disputed.

Appeals are limited to one per student.

Withdrawal procedures and add/drop refund dates are widely publicized. Therefore, appeals based on lack of awareness of these issues will not be reviewed. The Committee’s decisions are final.

Criteria for Appeals

Death in the student’s immediate family (parent, sibling, offspring, spouse, grandparents).

Unforeseen medical incapacitation of student or immediate family: 

Illness or injury of the student of such severity or duration that a competent medical authority certified that completion of the course is/was precluded.

Family circumstances of such severity that the student’s presence
is/was required away from school and precluded completion of the course.

Involuntary call to Military Duty – orders must accompany appeal.

Advising error by College employee (includes failure to meet course prerequisites – documentation required)

The Withdrawal Appeal Committee does not, under any circumstances, take phone calls or schedule appointments. All appeals must be submitted in writing.

Before requesting retroactive cancellation and/or tuition refund appeal, students receiving financial aid should discuss the implication with a financial aid advisor so a determination will be based on a clear understanding of the consequences of withdrawing from courses. Retroactively canceling courses may result in being billed for financial aid that has been disbursed based on your original enrollment.


Official transcripts may be ordered online from our service provider, Credential Solutions. You will be able to choose whether to have the transcript sent electronically immediately (to a participating institution), or sent through the mail within seven days. 

DCC Policy on Transcript Notations

As per NYS Article 129-B, DCC adheres to the following:

For crimes of violence,  including,  but  not  limited  to  sexual violence, defined as crimes that meet the reporting requirements pursuant to the federal Clery Act established in 20 U.S.C. 1092(f)(1)(F)(i)(I)-(VIII), Dutchess Community College will make a notation on the transcript of students found responsible for a Student Code of Conduct violation resulting in suspension, dismissal, or expulsion. For the respondent who withdraws from DCC while such conduct charges are pending, and declines to complete the disciplinary process, the College will make a notation on the transcript of such students that they withdrew with conduct charges pending. 

Notations for expulsion must remain on the transcript indefinitely. However, students wishing to appeal the notation for suspension or dismissal may do so after three years from the date of separation from the college for conduct issues, and seven years for Title IX violations. 

A student wishing to appeal the transcript notation for suspension or dismissal must submit a letter of appeal to the Assistant Dean of Student Advocacy and Accountability or designee. It is the student’s responsibility to provide substantial evidence which supports the appeal and provides documentation of their activities (work, education, etc.) since their separation from Dutchess Community College. If a finding of responsibility is vacated for any reason or an appeal is granted, any such transcript notation shall be removed.