Admissions & Enrollment

Enrollment in credit courses at Dutchess Community College is open to all persons whose academic abilities and personal qualifications suggest that they may benefit from college study. Enrollment is determined without regard to the race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or sexual orientation of a student.

Students enroll in credit courses at Dutchess Community College for a variety of reasons. Some do so to earn a college degree that is required for entry into a particular career. Some complete a two-year degree for transfer to a four-year institution to earn a bachelor’s degree. Others take courses to qualify for promotions, certificates or licenses; to pursue an interest they have in a specific subject field; for general personal enrichment or simply to try college study.

Types of Enrollment

Two sets of terms, “full-time and part-time,” and “matriculated and non-matriculated,” are commonly used to describe a student’s status at Dutchess. It is important for students to understand the meaning of the terms and how they may affect their enrollment.


The number of credit hours of study in which a student is enrolled as of the end of the third week of classes within a given semester determines whether a student is full-time or part-time. A student who is enrolled in 12 or more credits at that time in the fall or spring semester is considered full-time. A student enrolled in 11 or fewer credits is a part-time student. For students enrolled in non-credit courses, the equivalent credit hours of the courses are used in determining full- or part-time status. However, students should not confuse non-credit/credit equivalent courses with non-credit continuing education courses offered by the Office of Workforce Development and Continuing Education.

All students enrolled in the summer terms are considered by the College to be part-time, even if their combined credit hours of study from all the summer sessions total 12 or more. Students are not permitted to take more than seven credits during each summer session and the maximum total credits allowed during summer sessions is 14.

Students may change their status from full- to part-time or part- to full-time from one semester to the next. See the requirements for student status changes listed in this catalog and check registration directions for the semester in question.

Students may enroll in day, evening or online courses, regardless of whether they are full-time or part-time students.


To be matriculated means you are seeking a degree at Dutchess Community College and have officially chosen and been accepted into a specific program of study at the College. You must be matriculated in order to enroll full time, be eligible for various types of financial aid, to receive an official transfer credit evaluation, or to take proficiency examinations. You must be a full-time, matriculated student to live on campus.

In order to enter as a matriculated student, an applicant must present an official high school transcript showing proof of graduation from an accredited high school or a high school equivalency diploma (HSE). In addition to showing proof of graduation, transfer students should submit transcripts of all colleges attended prior to DCC. In addition, and if applicable, students should submit AP scores, SAT scores and ACT scores as well.

Students with a high school degree from a foreign institution will need to have their transcript evaluated by a NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluator Services) accredited organization. Visit for more information.

Home-schooled students who submit the necessary documentation demonstrating compliance with the minimum requirements of the home instruction regulations, and who have been granted a letter of substantial equivalency from their local school district, will be considered for admission in the same manner as a high school graduate.

Full- and Part-Time Matriculated Admissions 

A free application form for admission as a full- or part-time matriculated student may be found at

Forms also are available by contacting Dutchess Community College’s Office of Admissions at (845) 431-8010.

Applicants from outside the local area may use the State University of New York (SUNY) application form to apply to Dutchess. There is an application fee for students wishing to use the SUNY application. 

In order to matriculate at Dutchess Community College, a student must have earned a high school diploma or equivalency diploma. (Note: An IEP Certificate or CDOS Credential is not considered a diploma.)

Part-Time Non-Matriculated Admissions 

Part-time students who wish to take courses but who have not yet decided to enroll in a specific curriculum should simply register for their desired courses during the open registration period, assuming they meet any course prerequisites. Students should matriculate into a program of study by the time they have completed 15 credits.

Time to Apply

The College will accept and review applications for matriculation at any time. However, students wishing to be admitted in the fall are strongly urged to submit their applications by the preceding June 1, while those wishing to enter in January should submit their applications by the preceding November 1. Students who wish to live in the residence hall should apply as early as possible.

Applicants who are residents of Dutchess and Putnam counties will be given preference in enrollment in high-demand curricula if they meet all stated admissions requirements.

When all application data has been received and evaluated, applicants for matriculation will be notified of their admissions status.


Full-time and Part-time Matriculated (Degree-seeking) students 

Complete the Admissions Application: Available online at

Request transcripts: Request that your high school transcript, GED or HSE scores, AP scores, DD214 (for veterans), and/or college transcripts be sent to the Dutchess Community College Admissions Office electronically (PDF only, to or from a third-party vendor like Parchment or Scoir) or via mail. All transcripts must be sent directly from the high school or college in order to be official. 

Apply for Financial Aid: Students wishing to be considered for financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). New York state residents also should complete the Tuition Assistant Program (TAP) application and the Excelsior Scholarship application.

Academic Placement: To ensure academic success in college, new students may be required to take a placement test. Students may be exempt from portions of the placement test based on high school and/or college transcripts, and SAT or ACT scores. If pursuing a Nursing degree, a Biology placement test may be required. Do not take any placement tests until DCC has reviewed all your transcripts, as testing may not be required. For information about DCC placement testing, sample test questions and the current testing schedule, visit or call (845) 790-3733.

Submit Immunization/Vaccination records: 

Students who were born after January 1, 1957 must submit proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella in order to attend classes. 

COVID-19 Vaccination: Students must be fully vaccinated to attend in-person classes and/or use any on-campus service or resource. 

Apply for Housing (if applicable)

Register for Classes: Once you have submitted the appropriate paperwork and met the placement and immunization/vaccination requirements, you will be provided with registration information.

Make Payment Arrangements: After signing up for classes, be sure to make payment arrangements to secure your schedule. All NYS residents are required to prove their residency to be charged in-state tuition. If you do not make any arrangements, you run the risk of being dropped from your class(es).

A matriculated student returns to non-matriculated status if he/she is academically dismissed or misses two or more consecutive semesters or when he/she graduates. Graduates desiring to return to matriculated status, or students who have had a break of two or more consecutive semesters (excluding summer and winter) should apply for re-admission to the College in the Admissions Office.

Placement Testing - Registration

To ensure academic success in college, it is important that full-time and part-time students are placed in classes that are consistent with their current level of academic ability. To achieve accurate placement, incoming students may be required to take a placement test, which is used to evaluate a student’s preparedness for college-level level mathematics, English and biology. Students should only test for math and English placement upon referral from an Advisor, Admissions, and/or faculty. For information about placement based on scores, please review the guide below.

Placement Testing Exemptions:

Students are exempt from taking the College’s writing placement test and can register for ENG101 if they have done the following (excluding ENL/ESL students):

• Successfully completed a College-level English class, or 

• Have an overall high school GPA of 78 or better (graduated within five years of application) and passed the NYS English Regents (if NYS resident), or

• Earned a score of 78 or better on the NYS English Regents Exam, or

• Earned a score of 29 or higher on the SAT Writing section administered after March 1, 2016, or

• Earned a score of 500 or better on the SAT English exam prior to March 2016, or

• Earned a 22 or better on the ACT English exam.

• Earned a score of 580 or better on the TASC exam.

Students who do not place into English 101 may be placed into lower-level English courses based on their high school records. Students may have the option to take a placement test if they wish to try to improve their English course placement. 

Students who have taken ENL/ESL courses at any time in high school may be required to take the ESL placement test to determine appropriate English course placement.

Math course placement is determined using multiple measures from students’ past academic performance. Refer to the Math Course Placement Table at 

Students with a New York state high school transcript may be placed into college-level math courses on the basis of their grades on their Math Regents test scores. The math placement test exemption does not apply to students without a New York state high school transcript, or whose math Regents or SAT/ACT scores are older than 2.5 years. Students may choose to take the placement test, even if exempt, in order to place at a higher level.

Students in need of testing accommodations should receive prior approval from the Office of Accommodative Services. Contact them at (845) 431-8055 for information regarding documentation requirements. Testing accommodations must be approved by the Office of Accommodative Services prior to scheduling placement tests. Accommodations are not retroactive. Students who opt to take placement tests without their accommodations are not eligible to re-test with accommodations.

Students whose placement test scores indicate that they would benefit from further college preparation are required to take necessary pre-college courses beginning in their first semester. These pre-college courses do not carry credit toward a degree, and the grade earned is not calculated into a student’s grade point average. Students are required to earn a C or better in pre-college English and Math courses to advance to college-level courses. 

For more information about the placement test, to schedule an appointment, and/or to review sample test questions go to:

On-Campus Housing Admissions Requirements

New housing applicants must submit a high school transcript. Students from counties other than Dutchess and Putnam must have a high school average of at least 70 (or a minimum TASC score of 2800) to be eligible to live in Academic Housing. Students who have less than the required high school average and reside within Dutchess or Putnam will be evaluated for housing eligibility on an individual basis. Students transferring from another college must submit all previous college transcripts and demonstrate a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. Transfer students who have less than the required GPA and reside within Dutchess or Putnam will be evaluated on an individual basis. Questions about transcripts should be directed to the Admissions Office at (845) 431-8010 or

Importance of Advance Registration

Each semester, enrolled students are sent information and directions regarding advance registration. Advance registration for the spring semester usually begins in October, and advance registration for the fall semester begins usually in April. Students should register as early as possible since the most desired classes fill to capacity quickly. Once classes are closed, students may not appeal to faculty to join closed classes. They can select another available section or add themselves to the waitlist.

Students desiring to become candidates for degrees or certificates in specific programs (desiring to matriculate) should follow the directions in the section, “Types of Enrollment.” 


Waitlisting is a feature in Banner that allows a matriculated student to get in virtual line on a Waitlist for courses that are closed. This automated process notifies a student via their myDCC email, that a seat has opened and will give them a certain amount of time to register for the course before the seat will be released to the next student on the waitlist. Waitlisting is only available for degree-seeking (matriculated) students in the Spring and Fall and is open to all students (degree and non-degree seeking) in the Summer and Winter terms. 

Preferred Name

DCC recognizes that some members of our college community wish to use a first name other than a legal first name to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different first name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, the college will utilize the Preferred First Name for Blackboard, Starfish, Degree Works and your college email address. You may also have your preferred name appear on your student ID card. 

Your legal first name will appear on all other College records and documents. A student’s legal name will remain unchanged in all other College related systems. For more information go to or email 

Development to accommodate use of a preferred name in College systems is ongoing. Not all College information systems, databases, and processes may be able to display a preferred name and many uses of an individual’s name require display of the legal name; therefore, individuals who utilize a preferred name should always be prepared to reference their legal name and provide corresponding identification when necessary. A preferred name designation is not a legal name change.

Legal Name Change

Students who wish to change their legal name can obtain the Student Change of Information form in the Registrar’s Office. In order to change your legal name, you must show official proof of the new name. Acceptable documentation is: Driver’s License, Court Order, Marriage Certificate, Social Security Card, Divorce Decree, US Military ID or any other court papers for a legal change of name.

Programs for Students Requiring Additional Academic Preparation

Full Opportunity Program

Dutchess Community College participates in the Full Opportunity Program of the State University of New York. Under this plan the College guarantees “... to applicants residing in Dutchess County who graduated from school within the prior year and to applicants who are high school graduates and were released from active duty with the Armed Forces of the United States within the prior year ...” acceptance for matriculation in an appropriate program.

Admission under the Full Opportunity Program, however, does not guarantee that students will be able to complete the curriculum to which they have applied in two years of full-time study. The number of applicants in a given program or applicants’ academic backgrounds may require that students take five or more semesters to complete degree requirements.

The College reserves the right to make final decisions regarding all applicants. Those applicants who do not reside in Dutchess County may not be accepted for matriculation in a curriculum where a shortage of space for applicants from Dutchess County exists.

Early Admissions/Bridge Program

Certain public high school and homeschool students may benefit, either educationally or vocationally, by beginning college study earlier than the traditional college entry age. Dutchess provides an Early Admissions/Bridge program offering study in individual courses or in a selected college curriculum. We offer full or part-time options, based on the student’s needs and academic abilities. 

Full-time Early Admissions Program 

Applicants for the Full-Time Early Admissions program must have completed 11th grade and submit an Early Admission application, with parent and the high school counselor approval. This process will indicate the high school’s appraisal of the early admission applicant and an understanding of how DCC courses will be used in the student’s high school program. This application is available at 

Full-time applicants for early admission generally have a high school average of at least 85 and must place into ENG 101 for consideration. Courses taken as part of this program typically transfer back to the high school to meet graduation requirements. 

Students should begin the Early Admissions process by consulting with their high school guidance office, early in the spring of their junior year. The application deadline for full-time enrollment in the Early Admissions program is August 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring. 

Part-time Early Admissions Program 

Applicants for the Part-Time Early Admissions program must have completed the 10th grade or be at least 16 years of age to be eligible and should indicate the ability to advance with other college students enrolled in the same curriculum.

High school students may attend DCC on a part-time basis as follows: The student must submit the online Part-Time Early Admissions Application form. This form is available at and the process requires the approval of both the high school guidance counselor (or principal) and the parent. It is important for early admissions students to understand that they must have the prerequisite knowledge for the course(s) they undertake. This may include a satisfactory score on the placement test for entry into college-level English or math courses.

Both full and part-time Early Admissions students must agree to have the College send their mid-term and final grades to their respective high schools. 

Early Admissions students and their parents need to be aware that the Early Admissions program is not designed to function as an alternative to high school. The program is intended for students who possess above average high school grades and maturity, and desire to begin their college studies prior to graduating from high school. 

Early Admissions applicants are not eligible for any type of financial aid, including student loans, or college athletics. Early Admissions applicants are not guaranteed admission. Decisions whether to accept high school students as full-time matriculants, as part-time non-matriculants, or to deny enrollment will be based on a review of all application credentials, including the high school counselor’s and teacher’s recommendations.

Admission with Advanced Standing (Transfer Credits)  

In addition to completing the regular forms issued to all matriculating students, applicants who have studied at other colleges must have official transcripts from all colleges previously attended sent to the Office of Admissions.

Please note that once an official transcript (college or high school transcript/high school equivalency) is submitted to us it cannot be released back to the student or any other agency.

DCC only transfers in credits that are applicable to the student’s current degree program and that were earned at a regionally accredited institution (e.g. Middle States Association). To have a course accepted as transfer for an equivalent to an existing DCC course, the course content, learning outcomes, and length/time of instruction of the course will be the primary determining factors to its transferability.

Credits earned at other colleges will be evaluated in keeping with the requirements of the Dutchess curriculum to which a student is applying. Credit will be granted only for courses applicable to the desired curriculum. For students who have earned a bachelor of arts or science degree or a more advanced degree, every effort is made to award advanced standing credit for required general education courses in the Dutchess degree.

A degree candidate may receive up to 40 applicable semester hours of credit through direct transfer of credits from other colleges, and/or through proficiency tests, and/or credit for learning through life experience, but these methods of earning credits will have no bearing on a student’s QPA or CPA. Courses and credits, but not grades, are accepted and some time limits apply to transfer credit eligibility for certain degree programs and this determined at the time of the evaluation. 

Students enrolled in Certificate or Microcredential programs must complete at least 50% of their program credits at DCC and certain courses may be required to be taken at DCC. Check your specific program for these exceptions.

Credits for which a student has earned a grade lower than C will not be accepted in transfer. Grades of P are not accepted. If a student fails a course at Dutchess Community College and repeats that course at another college, he or she may transfer that course back to Dutchess for credit. In such a case, the F on the transcript for the course failed will remain, the transfer course will be entered on the transcript as transfer credit and the student will not have to repeat the course. Once transfer credits are awarded they will not be removed as this could have negative financial aid implications.

College credit earned through the CEEB Advanced Placement Program and the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) are recognized by Dutchess. Official Test results should be mailed directly by the sponsoring agency to the Office of the Registrar.

Dutchess Community College also grants credits for those non-traditional educational experiences, including military experience, that are approved by the American Council on Education and are applicable to the curriculum in which a student is matriculating.

*A one-time exception will be made to accept the grade of P or its equivalent from other colleges for courses taken during the Spring 2020 semester due to Covid-19 pandemic and National Emergency*

Reverse Transfer

Reverse transfer is for students who have already transferred to a SUNY four-year institution without having earned an associate degree at Dutchess Community College. Reverse transfer allows students to transfer the credits they have earned at the SUNY four-year institution back to Dutchess, and have those credits evaluated to determine if the combination of credits earned at DCC and the credits earned at the four-year institution meet the requirements for an associate degree. For more information go to 

Credit for Learning Through Life Experience

Dutchess Community College will grant credits to a student for learning gained through life experience that is the equivalent of required and/or elective courses in the student’s curriculum. Credits granted in this manner are called proficiency credits and are recorded on a student’s permanent academic transcript with a J grade in the semester in which the credits are earned. Although proficiency credits are used to meet graduation requirements, no honor points are awarded for the J grade, and the grade, therefore, has no bearing on a student’s QPA or CPA.

Although applicants for full-time study and part-time students may seek credit for their college-level learning from life experience, they are not eligible to receive credit until they have completed matriculation. The procedures and requirements for earning proficiency credits based on life experience differ for required courses and elective courses and are as follows:

Required Courses/Proficiency Examinations

All matriculated students are eligible to receive credit for any course that is required in the curriculum by successfully passing a departmental proficiency examination. Students may not receive credit for elective courses by proficiency examination.

Students who are interested in taking a proficiency examination should pick up the Proficiency Exam application in the Testing Center in the Student Services Center, room 104, and then contact the appropriate department chair for permission to take a proficiency exam. If approved, it is recommended that students ask the department chair for information regarding the format and content of the examination.

A non-refundable fee of $35 is charged for each examination and is payable at the Student Financial Services Office. Testing is scheduled through the Testing Center; a paid receipt must be shown in order to schedule the examination.

After the student takes the proficiency exam, the Testing Center sends it to the academic department chair for grading. If the student passes the exam with an equivalent of a C or better, paperwork is processed to submit a grade of “J” to the Registrar on the form entitled Certification of Credit by Proficiency.

Students who take an examination for a course in which they are currently enrolled will be required to withdraw from the course if they successfully complete the examination. Students may not take a proficiency examination for a course that they have failed without special permission from the department chair. Students may repeat a proficiency examination only with approval from the appropriate department chair.

In those instances, where a department chair can determine that a student is proficient in a course without the results of a proficiency test, the department chair may initiate the Certification of Credit by Proficiency Form as soon as the student presents evidence of paying the required $35 fee. 

Servicemembers Opportunity College

DCC participates in the Servicemembers Opportunity College program. Through this program, men and women in the armed forces may receive academic advisement from Dutchess on a continuing basis, no matter where they may be assigned in military duty. They may take approved courses at any conveniently located institution for credit toward a degree to be granted by DCC. Information about the Servicemembers Opportunity College is available from the Admissions Office.

Maximum Academic Schedule

The maximum academic schedule a student may carry in the spring or fall semester is 19 credits, except in cases where the student’s curriculum calls for a greater number of credits, or with the approval of the student’s faculty advisor and the assistant dean of student services. The maximum credits allowed for during the summer term is 14 for matriculated (degree-seeking) and 11 for non-matriculated (non-degree seeking) and students are not permitted to take more than seven credits during each summer session. During the Winter Intersession students can take a maximum of 3 credits.

Immunization Requirements

New York State Public Health Law 2165 requires all students taking six or more credits to provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. Degree Seeking students are required to submit proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella prior to registering for courses. Individuals born prior to January 1, 1957 are exempt from the law. Proof of immunity must be submitted to register as a full- or part-time student. Failure to submit proof by the 30th day of the semester will prevent continued attendance. Non-compliance will jeopardize course completion, future registrations and financial aid. 

Proof of immunity includes the following: Measles: Two doses of live vaccine on or after the first birthday, physician documented history of disease, or serologic evidence of immunity (blood titre); Mumps: One dose of live vaccine on or after the first birthday, physician documented history of disease, or serologic evidence of immunity (blood titre); Rubella: One dose of live vaccine on or after first birthday, or serologic evidence of immunity (blood titre). History is not acceptable. Proof can be obtained from physician, pediatricians, high school or military records. Forms are available online and in the health office.

New York State Public Health Law 2167 requires post-secondary institutions to distribute information about meningococcal disease and vaccination to all students regardless of age and who are registering for six or more credit hours. This information must be provided to parents or guardians of students under age of 18. Dutchess Community College is required to maintain a record of the following for each student:

• A vaccine record indicating at least one dose of Meningococcal ACWY vaccine within the last five years or complete two or three dose series of Meningococcal B: or

• A signed response form indicating that the student will not obtain immunization against meningococcal disease. The response form must be signed if the student has not received the meningococcal vaccine within five years.

Forms are available online and in the Health Office.

Medical Reports

The following programs require a medical report (physical) on file prior to the first clinical or laboratory experience. The programs are Early Childhood Education, Emergency Medical Technician, Clinical Lab Technician, Nursing, Paramedic and Phlebotomy. Forms are available online and in the Health Office.

In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment), all medical information is confidential and will not be released without the written consent of the individual party. 

New York State High School Equivalency Diploma

Guidelines for Earning a High School Equivalency diploma on the Basis of Earned College Credit

A New York State High School Equivalency diploma will be issued to a student who satisfactorily completes 24 applicable credits toward a degree or certificate. The credits must include the following: 

 Six credits in English;

 Three credits in Mathematics;

 Three credits in Natural Science;

 Three credits in Social Science;

 Three credits in Humanities; and

 Six credits in college degree program requirements.

The following procedures must be followed by any student wishing to receive a High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma through study at Dutchess Community College.

1. The student must take any necessary placement tests. For more information, visit If you are unsure of which test(s) are needed please see Assistant Registrar in the Registrar’s Office (SSC-201).

2. The student must complete 24 credits as specified above as a non-matriculated student with a C average (2.0) or better applicable to his/her curriculum in order to satisfy High School Equivalency requirements. Non-credit bearing courses such as ENG 091 will not count toward this requirement.

3. Once the courses are complete, the student MUST complete an application through the secretary to the registrar in the Registrar’s Office and pay the fee required by the State Education Department. This form, after it is signed by the registrar, is forwarded to the State Education Department, along with an official copy of the student’s transcript, for the issuance of a New York State High School Equivalency diploma. The student may expect to receive the High School Equivalency diploma by mail.

Students should note that the High School Equivalency/Earned College Credit program can be completed only part time, and is not covered by financial aid. 

Another pathway to a High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma is to take the NYS HSE Exam, currently the General Education Development Test (GED®). The College’s HSE preparatory program provides interactive and engaging classes that cover the four subject areas of the GED® examination. Our program is student-focused and aims to help participants achieve their academic and career goals. Our HSE preparatory program is available in both English and Spanish. For more information about our program please contact us at (845) 790-3590 or for further information.

Another pathway to a High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma is to take the NYS HSE Exam, currently the General Education Development Test (GED®). The College's HSE preparatory program provides interactive and engaging classes that cover the four subject areas of the GED® examination. Our program is student-focused and aims to help participants achieve their academic and career goals. Our HSE preparatory program is available in both English and Spanish. For more information about our program please contact us at (845) 790-3590 or for further information

Students wishing to explore non-credit options through our Office of Workforce Development and Continuing Education can call (845) 790-3590 or visit

Applicants with a Prior Felony

State University of New York (SUNY) policy prohibits DCC admissions applications from inquiring into an applicant’s prior criminal history. After acceptance, the College shall inquire if the student previously has been convicted of a felony if such individual seeks campus housing or participation in clinical or field experiences, internships or study abroad programs. The information required to be disclosed under SUNY policy regarding such felony convictions shall be reviewed by a standing campus committee consistent with the legal standards articulated in New York State Corrections Law. 

Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to complete the requirements of certain academic programs and/or to meet licensure requirements for certain professions. Students who have concerns about such matters are advised to contact the Office of Enrollment and Student Success.